We strongly recommend upgrading your latest browser.

  • Upgrade to the latest version.
  • Upgrade to the latest version.
  • Upgrade to the latest version.
  • Upgrade to the latest version.



  • A child born in Korea must be registered with Seoul Immigration Office within 30 days of his/her birth.
  • Parents of the newborn must report to the embassy and have a passport issued for the baby.
  • Alien Registration Cards can be applied for and issued at Seoul Immigration Office.
  • Required documents (Seoul Immigration Office)
    • Parent’s Certificate of Employment
    • Parent’s Alien Registration Certificate
    • Baby’s passport
    • 2 photographs of the baby (Passport-sized)
    • Processing fee: 50,000 won

Student Visa Issuance

  • For a foreigner staying in Korea for the purpose of study, he or she must be issued a form of identification (Student visa).
    Student Visa Issuance
    Status of Stay Qualifications Entry Staying in Korea Departure
    Less than 90 days Temporary Visit (C-3) • Those seeking short term stay for short study / training session, academic research, or other similar reasons. Passport, Visa and disembarkation Card Extension of Stay(Immigration Office) Passport
    More than 90 days Overseas Study(D-2) • Those seeking a short term stay for training session, lessons, academic research or other similar reasons. Extension of Stay, Change of Status(Immigration Office) Passport, Registration Card, Re-entry permit if necessary
    General Training(D-4) • Those studying Korean at a university affiliated language institute Alien Registration, extension of stay, re-entry permit, change of status or activities beyond the status(Immigration Office)
    • Those being educated in educational facilities other than academic research organizations or educational organizations that fall under overseas study(D-2) status.
    • Those learning technology or skills at a national or public research organization.
  • Procedures for applying for students cards
    • Apply : In person
    • Location : Embassy or consulates of the Republic of Korea
    • Required documents : passport, visa issuance application, fee(one copy : UDS 30, multiple copies: USD 80), 1 color photo
  • Procedures for the extension of stay and change stay status
    • Location : Immigration Office with the jurisdiction over the registered address
    • Registration period : Starting 2 months prior to the expiration of the stay and the date of expiration. After the expiratory date, penalty will apply.
      Standard for the Review of Permission for Extension of Stay
      Status of Stay Required Documents Standard for the Review of Permission for Extension of Stay
      Less than 90 days Temporary Visit(C-3) • Passport, application(form by Ministry of Justice), fees (tax stamp 30,000 won) • her or not of unavoidable necessity for continuous stay due to the cause not expected at entry
      • Extension of stay is possible up to 90 days since the date of entry(Extension exceeding 90 days not permitted)
      More than 90 days Overseas Study(D-2) • Passport and alien registration card, , application(form by Ministry of Justice), certificate of attendance, transcripts, the proof of tuition payments or scholarships, fees (tax stamp 30,000 won) • Reasonableness of continuous activities of abroad study or research
      • Limits on the extension of stay will be applied in the following cases
      - A foreigner that intends to supply learning expense etc through domestic employment activity
      - A foreigner that intends to do employment activity rather than learning
      - A foreigner with temporary absence from school
      General Training(D-4 • Passport and alien registration card, application(form by Ministry of Justice), certificate of attendance(showing the length of the training and attendance records), A document verifying the proof of funds for the stay, or reference, fee(tax stamp 30,000 won) • Reasonableness of continuous general training
      • Limits on the extension of stay will be applied in the following cases
      - A foreigner receiving salary from the organization giving training
      - A foreigners receiving training from private organization or individual
      - A foreigner that intends to do employment activity to earn stay expenses such as training expenses
      - A foreigner that intends to receive Korean language training in whole-life educational facility or private educational institute Other common training

Issuance of International Student Cards

International Students Cards can be divided into ISIC (International Student Identity Card) and ISEC(International Student Exchange Card). ISIC’s issuing fee is 14,000 won. The cards can also be issued at Kisses Travel Agency and related student welfare offices in each university. The fee for ISEC is 18,000 won and they can be issued at the most travel agencies. ISIC is only issued only when the student status is verified while ISEC is issued relatively with ease. The expiration date is 13 months from the date of issuance for ISIC and for ISEC, it is 2 years from the date of issuance.
  • Required documents for International Student Cards
    • ID photo(3cm*4cm)
    • Proof of identification (Choose from resident registration card, driver’s license and passport)
    • Supporting documents (only documents issued within a month are deemed valid)

      - In case of language study abroad and international students, a student visa or Admission letter+Proof of tuition

      - Payments(Full time Student)

  • Discounts available with International Student Cards
    • Discounts for lodging(Youth Hostel), museums or ancient palaces (Deoksu Palace, Gyeongbok Palace and National Museum of Korea and etc), movie ticket discounts (CGV, Megabox, Lotte Cinema), discounts on theme parks (Everland, Lotte World, Carribean Bay and etc), discounts at the family restaurants (Outback Steak House, VIPS, TGIF, Bennigans, Sizzler, Marche, Kahunaville, Uno and etc.), discounts on coffee(Starbucks, Coffee Bean), discounts for TOEIC registration fee, specials on currency, discounts on airline tickets and etc.

      - ISIC discounts within Korea : http://www.isic.org/

      - ISEC discounts within Korea : http://www.isecard.co.kr/dc_national.html

Vehicle Registration

All vehicles must be registered with Department of Transportation in Gangnam-gu Office. (1st floor lobby). In case of the registration by the appointed person, he or she must fill out and submit a power of attorney.

New Vehicle Registration( Purchased in Korea)

  • Required documents
    • Certificate of Vehicle Manufacture
    • The owner of the vehicle’s Alien Registration Card
    • Proof of current liability insurance
    • Temporary learner’s permit
    • Temporary driving permit license plate
    • A receipt for vehicle registration fee
    • The proof of open purchase of regional development

Vehicle registration ( Purchased overseas)

  • Required documents
    • Declaration on imported goods or the proof of entry
    • Alien Registration Card
    • The proof of liability insurance
    • Temporary learner’s permit
    • Temporary driving permit license plate
    • New vehicle information statement
    • Proof of current liability insurance
    • A receipt for vehicle registration fee
    • The proof of open purchase of regional development
  • For more information, direct your inquires to Transportation Policy Division of Gangnam-gu Office. (1F lobby Reports Division, TEL: 02-3423-6492,6493)

Free legal counseling

We provide free legal counseling for foreigners receiving unfair treatment due to the lack of legal knowledge.

Free legal consultation office

Free legal consultation office
Classification Address Contact Homepage Characteristics
Seoul Bar Association Consultation office of Seoul Central District Court #103, 137-885[Bar Association Building]1718-1 Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul, Korea 02-536-4967 http://www.seoulbar.or.kr -
Seoul Central District Association Consultation office of Seoul Central District Court #154,137-885[Bar Association Building]1718-1 Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul, Korea 02-537-1390 http://www.lawland.or.kr/ Professional consultant specializing in personal revival/bankruptcy
Ministry of Justice (international ministry of law) International trade law Building #5, Gwacheon Government Complex, Jungang-dong1, Gwacheon-si, Kyunggi-do. Republic of Korea 02-503-9504~6 http://www.moj.go.kr/ Legal consultation for small business leading exports/international trade of venture business
Seoul central branch of Korea Legal Aid Corporation Korea Legal Aid Corporation, #1703-10, Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul, Korea Call 132 without exchange number for call center http://www.klac.or.kr/ Possible consultation on telephone/internet consultation
/Saturday/ night consultation
Korea legal aid center for family relations 11-13 Yeouido-dong, Youngdeungpo-gu, Seoul 150-868, Korea 02-780-5688 http://lawhome.or.kr Consultation of legal issues as well as marriage issues/family issues
Justice administration service of Korea Dasan plaza, (1st floor) Seosomungwan 1-dong, Seoul city hall, 15 Duksugung-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea 02-120 http://legal.seoul.go.kr/ -
Free international legal consultation office of Korea university 2nd floor of Global leadership hall of Korea Univ. Anam Campus, Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, Korea 02-3290-1296 - -
National Archives of Korea 139 Seonsa-ro Daejeon Central Govt. Complex Bldg. II, Seo-gu, Daejeon. 02-2100-4972 http://www.archives.go.kr -
Social Solidarity Bank 4th Floor, 52-15, Chungmuro 2-Ga, Jung-gu,Seoul, Korea 02-2274-9637 http://www.bss.or.kr/web -
Korea legal aid center for family relations 11-13 Yeouido-dong, Youngdeungpo-gu, Seoul 150-868, Korea 02-780-5688 http://lawhome.or.kr -
Federation of Korean Trade Unions 35, Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, Korea 02-6277-0026 http://www.fktu.or.kr/ -
Korea family legal service center 1028-2 Seojeon Building 3rd floor, Sinjeong1-dong, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul, Korea, 158-861 02-2697-0155 http://lawqa.jinbo.net/ -

Health Insurance Card

Health Insurance Card
Every citizen is covered by National Health Insurance. All foreigners living in Korea must register for a medical coverage in a form of Workplace Health Insurance or Community Health Insurance. For insurance benefits, 80% of the medical cost for the hospitalization at a hospital or clinics for the treatment of illness will be covered by National Health Insurance. For out-patient treatments, 50~80% of the medical cost for a hospital or clinics will be covered.

Free legal counseling

  • Who is eligible?
    • The applicant must be a foreigner or Overseas Korean working in a workplace that is enrolled in national health insurance or an appointed or hired civil servant or faculty, who has the alien registration or the declaration of the residency.
    • Foreigners (Overseas Korean), not covered by Workplace Health Insurance but have done the alien registration and have been granted sojourn stay status, may be eligible for Community Health Insurance and the time of acquisition is as follows.
  • Time of acquisition
    • Workplace Health Insurance : The insurance is put in effect at the date when the employer enrolls their employees in medical health program (Starting from the date of employment for the employees). Dependents of a foreigner can apply for the medical insurance the same way the dependents of a local residents do.
    • Community Health Insurance : Foreigners may apply for Community Health Insurance individually. (If applying after certain time has lapsed, the insurance will be covered retroactively since the date put into effect.

      ※ For individuals who entered before 2008.12.16, the date of Alien Registration or a date of domestic residence registration.

      ※ For individuals who entered after 2008.12.17, three months after the entry. For those who have not stayed over three months but have definite reasons for the stay such as studying abroad or employment, the date of entry.

  • Required documents:
    • Foreigner : A copy of Alien Registration Certificate or a copy of the Proof of Alien Registration , passport and etc.
    • Foreign National Koreans : Alien Registration Certificate or a Proof of Alien Registration , a copy of resident registration or the proof of resident registration, passport
    • Overseas Korean : a copy of resident registration or the proof of resident registration, passport and etc.
  • Apply for Health Insurance Card at National Health Insurance, Seocho/Gangnam Branch(5~7F Mijin Plaza, 825 Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul).
  • For more information, call 02-2186-4114, http//www.nhic.or.kr
    • Guryeong Mountain
    • Address : Gaepo-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    • Contact :02-2155-6860
    • Registered date : 2010-10-17 15:38:19.0
    • Recommendation: 780, Hits: 5866
    • The mountain closely located near Poi and Yangjae area for a light walk. It is 300m in height which could just be a hill. However, it is perfect for an easy walking course with your family and also for morning exercises.
    • Daemo Mountain
    • Address : mt.63-36 Ilwon-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    • Contact :02-3333-3333
    • Registered date : 2010-10-17 14:51:58.0
    • Recommendation: 932, Hits: 8130
    • 293m in height, the shape of the mountain was similar as an old lady, therefore it was called Halmi Mountain. After the royal tomb of Daemo, it was re-named as Daemo mountain by the royal command. Near the entrance of the mountain, there are is a place for studying nature with various rare trees. It is famous for hiking and strolling for the citizens as well as being a great outdoor education for students.
    • Han river park
    • Address : Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    • Contact :02-3780-0532
    • Registered date : 2010-10-17 15:50:05.0
    • Recommendation: 920, Hits: 4491
    • The Jamwonji-gu riverside of Han River has wide green grass and other sports facilities. Many families visit the park on the weekends for a picnic. Especially, a tennis court for the disabled is arranged. The best place of the Jamwonji-gu is the long field of reeds along the riverside. The sight of sunset reaching 400m of the field is especially famous.
    • Dosan park
    • Address : 649-9 Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
    • Contact :02-543-2558
    • Registered date : 2010-10-17 15:57:18.0
    • Recommendation: 865, Hits: 4382
    • Dosan park was created to be a model of citizens for edification of the people and great patriotism of Korea’s independence led by Dosan Ahn Chang Ho. On November 10th of 1973, the Seoul city moved the grave of Dosan from Manguri Cemetery to the Dosan park. At the same time, remains of his wife Lee Hae ryeong in Los Angeles was also brought here. The total area of Dosan park is 29.974㎡ and it has the grave of Dosan and his wife as well as Dosan Ahn Chang Ho Memorial Hall, bronze statue, monument, monumental sculpture, and others.

Korean Education

  • Gangnam-gu is known for a great zeal for education within Korea and it has relatively higher acceptance rate for prestigious schools compared to other regions. Korea’s educational system requires that students attend a school belonging in the district of their residence, and in many cases, affluent families move to Gangnam-gu to give them an access to better universities. As a result, it has become a social issue, with clever and wealthy students or clever and highly enthusiastic students flocking to high schools in Gangnam district. Notably the alumni from prestigious universities, who are Gangnam natives, have made important contributions to the society.
  • As a highly Confucius society, Korea has placed a great emphasis on education. Many parents have made sacrifices for their children’s education and students stay in school for the bulk of the day, studying. To be admitted to top universities, high school students spend bulk of their time studying for college entrance examination(the scholastic aptitude assessment) and after graduating from universities, they may attain employment, leave for language training or pursue higher education.
  • Korean Education System
    • Korea adopts 1-6-3-3 system (a year in kindergarten, 6 years in elementary school, 3 years in middle school and 3 years in high school), and a new academic year starts in early March and ends in February of next year, with about 40 days for summer vacation and about 45 days for winter vacation.
    • In Korea, secondary education is mandatory while post secondary education is not. However, currently high school enrollment is 99.5%, indicating that almost all Koreans attend high school.

Admission for children of foreigners

  • For children of foreign nationality wish to attend schools in Korea, the assessment of the academic level will based on the previous educational records. Prospective students must be competent in Korean.Children of overseas Koreans or foreigners who wish to attend or transfer to elementary schools in Korea, must present the proof of entry/departure or the proof of Alien Registration issued by the head of the immigrant office.
  • Furthermore, in the light of international agreements on the children's rights and respect for human rights, to expand the educational opportunities provided for the children of illegal immigrants, the admission to elementary and middle school is allowed
  • In such case, to prove the child’s residence in the given district, the supporting documents(contracts for JeonsaeㆍWolsae, proof of residence, inwoo warranty and etc) can be submitted.
  • For a foreigner who wants to attend or transfer to schools in Gangnam-gu, call the Education Department of Gangnam-gu Office for more details. (TEL 02-511-6129)

Colleges/Universities in Korea

  • A few universities in Korea offer degree programs in English, and Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS). Some Korean universities run undergrad program in conjunction with their sister schools from countries around the world, and have international exchange program such as credit interchange of exchange students, visiting professors and the exchange of academics.
  • Foreign students with competency in Korean may apply for regular degree programs in universities. For details and information on application procedures, make inquires to the school.
  • Before coming to Korea, students must apply for a student visa. For foreigners in possession of other long-term visas to be admitted to universities, they must apply for a change of visa status to get student visa issued.

Admission for Children of Foreign Nationality

Children of foreign nationality face restrictions against attending Korean schools and most parents prefer private foreign schools for instructions in their native language. There are several of these foreign schools in Seoul.

Approved foreign schools located in Gangnam-gu (International schools)

Approved foreign schools located in Gangnam-gu (International schools)
Name Address Telephone Number Website Courses Offered Languages
Japanese School 153 Gaepo-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 02-574-0348 http://www.sjshp.or.kr Preschool(Age 4), Elementary School (From age 6), Middle School (Age 12~15) Japanese,Korean
Korea International School (KIS) 155 Gaepo-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 02-561-0509 http://www.kis.or.kr Kindergarten ~ High School English, Korean
Seoul Academy 988-5 Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 02-562-0451 http://www.seoulacademy.net Preschool(Age 4), Middle School (Grade 8), High School English, Korean
Dulwich College Seoul 6 Sinbanpo-ro 15-Gil Seocho-gu Seoul 02-3015-8500 http://www.dulwich-seoul.kr/ Toddler (Age 2) to IGCSE (Age 16); seeking to offer IBDP (ages 17-18) from the 2015-16 English (Mandarin; French; Spanish; Korean offered as additional languages)

Approved International(Foreign) Schools located in Seoul

International(Foreign) Schools
Name Address Telephone Number Website Courses Offered Languages
Centennial Christian School Yongsan-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-772-9275 http://www.ccslions.com Preschool(Age 4) ~ High School English, Korean
Chinese Middle School 89-1 Yeonhui-dong, Seodaemoon-gu, Seoul 02-324-0664 - Preschool(Age 4) ~ High School Chinese,Korean
Chinese Primary School 15 Chungmu-ro 1-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul 02-776-3893 - Kindergarten ~ Grade 6 Chinese,Korean
Deutsche Schule Seoul 4-13 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-792-0797 http://www.dsseoul.org Kindergarten ~ Grade 10 (Must attend German school and proficient in German) German,Korean
Franciscan School 707 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-798-2195 - Kindergarten(Age 2 ½) English, Korean
Global Christian School 4-22 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-773-1993 - Kindergarten (Age 4 and more) ~ Grade 5 English, Korean
Lycee Francais de Seoul 98-3 Banpo-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul 02-535-1158 http://www.lfseoul.org Kindergarten~ High School(Must attend French school and proficient in French) French,Korean
Early Childhood Learning Center 6-4 Itaewon 2-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-795-8418 http://www.eclcseoul.com 30 months old~ Age 6 English, Korean
Seoul American Elementary School Yongsan Army Base, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-7916-4613 - Grade 1 ~ Grade 6 English
Seoul American Middle School Yongsan Army Base, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-7916-7364 - Grade 1 ~ Grade 6 English
Seoul American High School Yongsan Army Base, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-7918-8822 - Grade 7 ~ Grade 12 English
Seoul Foreign School(SFS) 55 Yeonhui-dong, Seodaemoon-gu, Seoul/td> 02-330-3100 http://www.seoulforeign.org/ Elementary ~ High School English
Seoul International School(SIS) Songpa P.P. Box Songpa-gu, Seoul(Near Olympic Park) 02-2233-4551 http://www.sis-korea.org Elementary ~ High School English, Korean
Hansung Chinese Secondary School Yeonhui-dong, Seodaemoon-gu, Seoul 02-324-0664 - Middle and High School Chinese,Korean
Yeongdeungpo Chinese School Moonrae-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul 02-2678-5939 - Elementary School Chinese,Korean
Korea Kent Foreign School Guui-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 02-2201-7091 http://www.kkfs.org/ Kindergarten ~ Middle School English, Korean
Hanxiao Chinese School Myeong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 02-776-3728 http://www.hanxiao.or.kr/ Elementary School Chinese,Korean
Yongsan International School Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 02-797-5104 - Kindergarten~ High School English, Korean
Mongol School of Seoul Gwangjang-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 02-3437-7078 http://www.mongolschool.org/new/ Elementary(Grade 1~6), Middle School(Grade 6~9), High School(Grade10~12) Mongolian
Rainbow International School Yangjae 1-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul 02-571-2917 http://www.rischool.org/ Elementary School~Middle School(Grade 1~8) English
Asian Pacific International School Wolgae 2-dong, Nowon-gu, seoul 02-907-2747 http://www.apis.seoul.kr/ Pre-school, Elementary ~ High School English, Korean
Xavier International School 151 Gugi-dong, Jonro-gu, Seoul 02-396-7688 http://www.xavier.sc.kr/ Elementary ~ High School French,Korean